Not Cassandra, but an in-law

Not Cassandra, but an in-law

Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Love Story, part 2

He called.

I was young and reckless. He was older, married, insanely attractive, a long-time womanizer, describing himself as an 'aging roue' while still in his mid-40s, promising only 'a mutual compliment.' That was fine with me.

The affair absolutely smoked. For years.

I got pregnant deliberately, expecting nothing from him.

My son was born.

My mother warned, 'He's a powerful man. Be careful. He could take your child away.'
I told him that she said this. He laughed. 'You'd kill me, wouldn't you?'

Yes.

I got a new job and left the country. He came to visit. He was sweet, gracious, discrete, but it was clear that this was not his real life, just a fantasy.

I stopped writing to him.

The end.

Not quite.