Not Cassandra, but an in-law

Not Cassandra, but an in-law

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Whatever Happened to the Actual NEWS?

Headlines of the moment on CBS, former home of the marvelous, erudite, professional Walter Cronkite:

"Making Your Vacation Fido-Friendly"

"Supermodel Bundchen Is Pregnant"

"Novelist Kaye Gibbons Faces Yet Another Hurdle"

"Nestle Recalls All Refrigerated Toll House Dough"

The New York Times' only claim on my affections is that they have spelled my name correctly when griping about my work in recent years. Nevertheless, I find myself helplessly drawn to their web page, which boasts actual news items and rational analysis.

And CBS? If I wanted to read shallow junk, panting over third-tier celebrities, and marginal feature items in place of actual news, I'd subscribe to the LA Times.

.

No comments: